[3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 18 12:53:15 EST 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

   20:  712   107
Total: 1650   443  Total Score = 2,183,547

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I had no specific plan other than to work as many multipliers as
possible, so I operated unlimited.  After a couple of hours with
really good 80 and 160 conditions Friday evening, I decided to shoot
for 100 multipliers on 80.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the feedline to the 40 meter vertical
with brand new LMR400 equivalent coax with (drum roll) soldered
connectors!  When the grass starts growing again, I'll have to go out
and weave the coax into the grass and the ground will gradually
surround it.  Too bad it is too difficult to reuse the "trench"
created by pulling the old coax out of the ground.

I got up both mornings to chase multipliers before sunrise.  I could
work anything I could hear on 80 but I probably missed the more
difficult multipliers.  Heard snippets of JA3YBK on 160 Sunday morning
but not enough to attempt a QSO.

I heard V85RH and VR2XAN on 40 Sunday morning but not well enough to
attempt to crack the pileup.  I need something better to receive with
on 40 than multi-wavelength Beverages.

I had many nice runs on 20 and a few decent runs on 80 and 160.  It
was hard to get more than a half dozen stations to call me on 40
except for one 30 minute streak Saturday evening.

TZ1CE has the surprise multiplier during a 20 meter run Saturday
afternoon.

I tried working PY2UDB on 10 on Saturday but was told "no cpi" 3
times.  His was the only signal heard on Saturday.  On Sunday. ZF5T
and ZF1A were booming while the rest of the Caribbean came and went
sporadically.  Worked a few SA a short while after the Caribbean peak.

I used the second radio somewhat more often this weekend as a
convenient shortcut to 40 meters rather than as a full-fledged second
station.  However, something was screwy with the Beverage connections
to the second radio so I did most of the receiving on the vertical.
Jeff's amplifier did not want to go over 800 watts out and I didn't
feel like trying to push it, so a couple of times I moved 40 to the
main radio to chase some multipliers with 1500 watts.

DX worked: 3V, 4O, 4X, 5B, 5H, 6Y, 8P, 9A, 9Y, A6, BY, CE, CM, CN, CT,
CT3, CX, DL, DU, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, ER, ES, EU, F, FG, FJ, FM,
FS, FY, G, GD, GI, GM, GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HH, HI, HK, HR, HZ, I,
IS, J3, JA, JT, KH2, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON,
OX, OY, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PJ5, PJ7, PY, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV9, TF,
TI, TZ, UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V2, V3, V4, V7, VK, VP2M, VP5, VP9, XE,
YB, YL, YO, YU, YV, Z3, Z6, ZF, ZL, ZP, ZS for a total of 110
entities.  3V on 160 and HZ, JT, and YB on 40 were the only
multipliers not also worked on 20.  Somewhere there is a 1 multiplier
discrepancy.

Funny at the time: I spent about 10 minutes trying to crack the pile
for TF3Y, which eventually succeeded.  4 minutes later TF3VS called
me.

5H4WZ was easy to work on 4 bands despite the piles.

Sunday afternoon and evening was a bit frustrating because it seemed
like I had worked everyone and runs didn't last long and no last hour
strategy was satisfying.  But I was very tired and probably ate too
much junk over the weekend.

Equipment: Elecraft K3S and P3, Alpha 8410 on the first radio,
Elecraft K3 and P3 and ETO 91B (thanks, Jeff) on the second radio.
homebrew SO2R stuff; homebrew SDR stuff (beam steering RX antennas on
160); Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet; Cushcraft X7 at 100 feet; full sized
verticals on 40 and 80; 60-foot "tee" on 160.