[3830] CQ160 SSB ZF5T(@ZF9CW) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 23 12:33:48 EST 2020

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: ZF5T
Operator(s): ZF9CW
Station: ZF9CW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Cayman Brac
Operating Time (hrs): 25:32

Total:  QSOs = 1016  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 54  Total Score = 641,520

Club: Brac Radio Contest Club

Comments:

Before submitting this write up I looked at the database of previous scores.
For North America, the top 11 all time scores all came from Canada and those
Briggs brothers pretty much dominate the top of the database. Wow! A good goal
would be to someday break into the top ten on that list.

This is one of the few contests I have worked when I have no idea how well I
did.  I don't even know whether I won for the Cayman Islands.  I tried hard and
historically the score looks good despite what I thought were very poor
conditions, certainly as compared to what I heard out of Europe during the ARRL
CW Contest.  After working over 700 Europeans in the CQ 160 CW Contest, I think
my expectations were too high.  Phone contests are just very hard work.

The best signals from Europe occurred both nights an hour before sunset when I
could not even slow the button pushing for another CQ by the strong Europeans
who were calling CQ.  Friday there were no Europeans to be found as sunrise
approached in Europe.  Saturday night there was some activity and signals did
get stronger at their sunrise.  Biggest thrill was a 4L2 who called Friday
night.

Based on the number of multipliers I missed I am guessing there is a big
difference in being one of two on the air versus the only ZF on the band.

I asked one Midwest station what he was using for power and antenna.  He was a
little over S9 on whatever RX antenna I was using.  He said 900 watts and an
inverted V antenna.  I used that to surmise that many of the stations I worked
who were about 50 dB weaker were running approximately 5 watts to a tangled wad
of wire laying in the corner of the radio room.

I appreciate all the contacts.  ARRL Phone Contest in two weeks and then back to
Arkansas a few days later.  I am going to try to work on my post phone contest
attitude and at least pretend I'm looking forward to both the next phone contest
and leaving paradise.

73... Stan, ZF9CW (K5GO)