[3830] RTTY Roundup VA7ST Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 5 19:54:59 EST 2020

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2020

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

   15:     2
   10:
-----------------------
Total:   700       0  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 14  Total Score = 46,900

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

IC-7610 + Acom 1000 + 3 ele Steppir

Spent 14 hours in the chair, but took several long (3-hour) breaks beyond the
minimum as lack-luster band conditions couldn't keep my interest high enough to
warrant more time.

With virtually no access to Europe from here, I watched my
contestonlinescore.com colleagues soar ahead Sunday once they had European
openings on 20M. My country total sat at 9 until Sunday morning (vs. 40 or so
for the stations I was chasing), and when the normal 20M EU opening was supposed
to arrive I worked just three more countries -- finishing with 14 DXCC for an
entire weekend. And only two of those were from Europe (OM, DL).

Great job by KT9L, W3RGA and WD0T with whom I was managing to keep pace for a
few hours Saturday, but all of whom took off like rockets when they started
their Sunday shifts. And you should have seen K5ZD climb the scoreboard Sunday,
with the highest reported rate of 290 per hour at one point.

On the domestic side of the scoresheet, I got to 50 states/provinces fairly
easily, but had the usual missing suspects across Canada and low-pop or close-in
states. In the final half hour I just called CQ on 40M and hoped they (WY, ND,
NE in particular) would find me. That worked a bit -- thanks to needed mults QC,
WY and ND calling in during the last 10 minutes or so. Never heard DE, NE or any
of the three northern territories.

Love Roundup. Sure disappointed with my high-power outing. I stayed on 20M too
late Saturday, leaving for 40M just after 0000z with a comfy 350 Qs on 20M but
losing out on the prime-time action on 40M. So I took a long break instead and
it was pretty much game over competiveness-wise and otherwise-wise.

The gear worked well with only one failure -- and it was fixable in real-time.
10 p.m. Saturday night when I went to 80M, the wire vertical was intermittent --
obviously a feedpoint problem at the base of the hanging wire (it's suspended by
a catenary cable at 80' between the pines). Flashlight in hand and Boomer the
antenna assistant border collie along for the excursion, we traipsed (Boomer
bounded) through a foot of snow to the antenna.

While Boomer sat silent guard alert for any coyotes lurking in the woods, I
found that the 12 ga copper wire element had broken off at the feedpoint plate.
Fortunately, 'excellently engineered' strain relief kept it from flying away
when it broke, so I was able to make the repair and managed to work 100 stations
on 80M before everyone shut down for the night.

What a way to wrap up a three-week holiday break. Back to the grind tomorrow,
fearing I may have become addicted to frequent naps :) Already looking ahead to
NAQP CW next weekend.

I see we have a real Cycle 25 sunspot this weekend, so that bodes well for 2020.
Happy new year to all.

-- Bud VA7ST

VA7ST scores from the last 900 or so contests:
http://va7st.ca/contesting/va7st-contest-scores/

Roundup history
        QSOs    Sec  Cty  Score
2020     700     53   14  46,900 HP