[3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 19 11:25:33 EST 2020

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

   20:    1     1
   15:    1     1
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  260    73  Total Score = 18,980

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC DC Metro

Comments:

My usual post-nightfall start, about 00Z.  20M long gone. 40M gone long, but fun
to try for the western mults -- hah!  No California; little else in the West.
Did hear VY1CO, but couldn't get thru the crescendant pileup.

Some nice, but kinda short, runs on 80M and 160M, and even managed to do some
semi-effective S&P (maybe I'm learning how to tune in an SSB signal).  One
run on 160M included a five QSO minute that probably came, at least in part,
from being spotted.

A few mult's did call in, but overall pretty thin.  Surprised to get no RI, and
but few CT.  Also a little disappointed not to hear any Canada east of QC.  I
did, however, get my quota of five WV on 160M.  (For you younger op's, that's an
old, old joke from ARRL DX Test CW.  Ask your gray-haired mentors.)

Got called (I think), as in NAQP CW, on 80M by N9RV.  He must have a receive
antenna that extends to West Middlesex, PA.  JUST KIDDING, for goodness sake!

Toward the end, S&P on 160M, I heard somebody say "Wyoming".
Wondering what that could be, I stopped to check it out.  It was the loudest WY
station I've ever heard in a contest.  On 160M, yet! Another crescendant pileup,
and he was not hearing well enough for me to have a chance.  QSY to a
"clear" spot at 1875 KHz and CQ for the last five minutes.  Four QSOs
(plus a last-second dupe), so I had made at least that one good decision.

Overall results continue a downward trend.  Thanks for the QSOs.