[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 20 00:06:51 EST 2020

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2020

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EL87

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  184    64  Total Score = 11,776

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

For years now, I've advocated moving this event to early January to take better
advantage of winter Es.  A swap with the RTTY Round-up would seem fine.

Scatter ruled all weekend.  Heard hundreds of stations - once.  FT8 is not the
best mode for this, but it really has become the FT8 QSO Party.  MSK144
contributed 12 QSOs, SSB 5 and one on CW.  Never heard a signal on FT4.

Pipeline to W1 for hours both Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.

Neatest QSO was KM1CC FN51, I believe their last.  Tnx Ed K1EP for persisting.

Heard XE2TT DL44 for 10+ minutes the first evening.  At ~1800 miles this was the

best opening I've heard this winter to anywhere.  Listen for ZL/VK most
evenings, but nothing.

Six hours in, the line score was 122/51.  4.5 more hours brought it to just
129/52 for the first night.  Sunday was a slog with endless teasing scatter
decodes to jump on and a peak rate of 10.

Wayne K8LEE became a SK this week.  This Commander amp came from him 3 years
ago.  Just came across a picture of him in December 2011 CQ page 80.
Interesting fellow and station.  RIP Wayne.

Seemed like local 6M aficionado W4TAA was on all weekend with his 9L and KW+ so
I expect Bill will prevail over my 7L and 700W +/-.

Will probably miss June this year, so this is the second year in a row with the
January score exceeding the June score.

vy 73, Dan