[3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA2FGK(K2LNS) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 20 11:25:29 EST 2020

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2020

Call: WA2FGK
Operator(s): K2LNS
Station: WA2FGK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  261    64  Total Score = 16,700

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

I had a free weekend and decided to put an effort into this weekend VHF
contest.
As in years past, it's a 50/50 chance of getting through the weekend due to
winter icing.
The big difference is I only now have 6 meters instead of a 10 band system.
Certainly makes life easier going into my later years.
Saturday late afternoon, the band erratically open to the south, and Sunday late
afternoon
to the mid-west.  Pre contest I set a goal of 50 grids for the weekend.
I knew I would have to work a decent amount of stations using meteors with
MSK144.
I was disappointed in the meteor activity, although those worked certainly
helped my totals.
Most of my contacts were done on FT8, other than the beginning of the contest.
I do have one complaint to the VHF community
When the band opens for an hour or two, get off of FT8. Several times I moved to
SSB during
small openings, and never saw a signal. I can work 3 stations on SSB, vs. the
time
it takes to make one FT8 contact. It's a great mode, but certainly slower than
SSB.
Within the last week, I down loaded V2.1.2.
Over the weekend, some contacts were lost, due to compatibility.
I did learn to click RRR which would be read by the other ops program, so we
could
complete the contact. I'm sure those who gave up from repetitive transmissions,
thought
I was an idiot.
Thanks for the fun. Stay warm on the next few weeks of bitter weather
Thanks for the Q's
Herb K2LNS
Using the old call WA2FGK FN21

QSO's 261  Grids on 50 mhz 64 = 16,700