[3830] ARRL Jan VHF WZ1V Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 20 13:35:31 EST 2020

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2020

Call: WZ1V
Operator(s): WZ1V
Station: WZ1V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31RH

  1.2:   12     5
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  370   108  Total Score = 51,516

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Saturday's snow and rain created terrible conditions.
Not to mention the noise went through the roof.
So it was mostly a Sunday-only event here.
As usual, the SSB-CW activity on 6M all but vanished
after the first few hours. It mostly became a 50.313
FT8 contest after that. There was Es to the south both
days. Sunday was probably the better opening as it
stretched into the mid-west for a bit.
Here's the thing: with so many ops getting stuck on
FT8 on 6 and 2 meters, there's much less opportunity
to ask for higher bands - as a result my upper band Q's
were the lowest of ANY VHF Contest I've ever been in.
And the ON4KST chat page does not do much for smaller
stations like mine. If you're not QRO on 10 bands you
can beg all you want for skeds and no one will answer.
Not to mention it scrolls off the screen in seconds.
So there's the double-edged FT8 sword. Yes it's very
effective - as an example VE3DS and I made a sked to
try 432.174 FT8 - no sooner than the dial landed and
clicked the monitor button than he was on the screen
and the 400 mile contact completed in a minute's time.
But as they say, too much of a good thing can be bad,
and in this case the issue is it's highly addictive.
73, Ron WZ1V