[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W1DYJ SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 20 19:40:17 EST 2020

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2020

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: Massachusetts

  432:   10     2
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  101    27  Total Score = 2,997

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

I was switching between the NAQP SSB (mostly) and the VHF on
Saturday, and therefore doing poorly in both!  Staying on SSB/CW
in the VHF I found little activity, stopping at 0137 UTC with only
266 points: 31 SSB on 6, 38 SSB on 2, 7 total grids. No CW heard.

Sunday was different: Although I really don't like FT8 for contests,
one really doesn't have a choice anymore in these VHF contests.  We
had a concert in Boston in the afternoon so I could only dabble a bit
during the morning and couldn't really get going until after dinner.
I was switching between SSB/CW and FT8 and the end was strong with
much 2M FT8 activity (including a new grid, my 40th.)

Thanks to those few folk I connected with that moved to the other two
bands for me, something that doesn't happen on FT8.  I checked now
and then and heard No FT4 signals.

This was the 2nd best score in the 22 years I've been doing this
contest.

Some random observations:
* Operators need to ask if anyone else wants a Q before QSYing.  I
  missed a number of potential Qs because after listening to two
  operators (without hearing any call signs) they would QSY to another
  band and miss my points. Without knowing who/where they were I
  probably didn't have my yagis pointing at them and never heard them
  again.
* I heard a lot of voices along with FT8 signals -- we need to watch
  our audio channels and prevent this.
* I noticed a lot of FT8 signals with harmonics and/or what appeared
  to be the lower sideband leaking through -- we need to watch our
  drive levels.

Rig:      TS2000
Antennas: 6M -- HB 7 el at 10M  (ARRL Antenna Book)
          2M -- 12el K1FO at 12M (K1WHS kit)
          70cm -- M^2 440-18 up at 11M
Log:      N3FJP's VHF Contest Log Ver. 6.3
          [with JTAlert 2.15.3]

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ