[3830] CQ160 CW N4XD Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 26 17:35:52 EST 2020

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1325  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 66  Total Score = 700,646

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

First, thank you to all the folks that usually are on SSB low in the band for
letting us invade. You all were very generous. Thanks also to CQ for putting the
contest on and of course, to all that called.

Seemed conditions were, in a word, excellent. Fairly low noise (with exception
of some storms off the east coast) and little qsb.

It was great seeing the band full almost up to 1.9Mhz. WOW. Who said CW was
dead?

Big changes to the station here. First time using the IC 7610. While there are a
couple changes I'd like to see for it to be a superb contest radio (for
instance, when the vfos are locked together would be nice to have an option for
rit to also be locked so both vfos move0.

I'd say the noise reduction is very well implemented as is the cw apf function.
I didn't notice any ringing with it on. The spectrum display was nice and was
also useful. Overall a pretty good radio.

The other big change here was the addition of a W8JI 8 antenna circular receive
array for 160. I finished it before the Stew and it just works. At times perhaps
too well as callers off the back are almost impossible to hear. Its quiet and
allows one to hear down to the next level. Combined wiht excellent conditions
allowed me to log a record number of 10 point contacts.

At the end of day 1 had 197. At the end of the contest had 357. Pretty sure some
will disappear during log check as I think some of the early ones may have been
calling other DX under me and the timing worked out so it appeared they were
calling me. Will see.

Some self inflicted wounds at the start. I went to edit the N1MM messages and
messed up. Result was all the function keys seemed off on (CQ was F2 vs 1) and
other issues. Took me a bit to figure it out. I apologize to the couple stations
that called during that time as I just disappeared to figure it out.

In all it sure was a fun contest.

Equip:
IC 7610
Alpha 91b