[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 26 20:16:40 EST 2020

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

Total:  QSOs = 813  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 46  Total Score = 276,309

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow, that was something really special, at least the 2nd night!

The first night had more than one frustrating moment. I started at 22Z, stopped
for dinner at 2255Z with about 125 Q's. After that, the rate was never anything
exciting the first night. I could hear many Europeans I could not work. The
highlight was being called by CX6 for best DX of the contest. I worked 34 EU
stations the first night, but many were a struggle. There were a couple of brief
EU run bursts when I was apparently spotted. Condx peaked to EU from 0130-0430Z.
My rate really dropped about 0445 which forced me to S&P after about 8
unanswered CQ's on very clear 1818 KHz. A DJ2 struggled mightily to copy my
state, but it ended up a nil and my last 7 minutes were zero Q's.

The 2nd night started quite slowly and I was thinking of quitting as I had been
busy away from home most of the day. At 0028Z, I S&P'ed for only my 2nd EU Q
of the evening and it was apparent condx were good. I found a clear frequency
around 1861 KHz and started running EU stations immediately. Soon thereafter, I
looked at the log screen to see 11 of my last 12 fast Q's were 10 pointers,
wonderful for LP! The EU run continued and even increased until a LY CQ'ed about
100 Hz below me and killed my chance of being heard. Condx were excellent to
both western NA and EU until just about 0330Z when more NA stations started
calling and almost no EU's called. I count 90 10 point Q's during the 2nd night.
I would have operated longer, but after 0330Z EU signals faded and most all
heard were already logged, so I quit at 0427Z. This was by about 3 multiples my
best DX count in either the CQWW 160 or ARRL 160. 26 Germans were logged. I
heard no DX Sunday morning restarting about 25 minutes before sunrise, but the
NA Q's kept coming and I added about 20 more in the last half hour. I missed
ND,SD,HI,AK,NF,MB,and BC.

Thanks for all of the calls, from DX and NA. The 2nd night will long be
remembered.

73, Jeff N8II