[3830] CQ160 CW WE9V Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 26 22:57:03 EST 2020

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WE9V
Operator(s): WE9V
Station: WE9V

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 265  State/Prov = 40  Countries = 53  Total Score = 126,480

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Didn't feel like doing the contest, so completely blew off the first day.
Second day, 9:30pm local (0330z) I decided to turn on the radio.  I was shocked
at how much DX (Europe) was on that I could actually hear.  (Normally, if I'm
serious, I travel to my mother's rurual location where I have a simple
inverted-L up, but zero for a noise floor).  Normally, I struggle to hear
anything on 160 from my home.

But in the first 38 minutes I worked 35 countries, S&Ping the spots.  In 18
previous entries, I've not worked more than 25 countries in the entire contest,
with one exception, in 2010 I worked 56 countries in a serious effort from the
rural location.  (That year I worked 156 ten-pointers, 141 from EU.)

So I can't believe I bagged 53 countries in about 3 hours.  I stayed until the
start of EU SR, but EU just about completely disappeared, so I bagged it.  83
EU, 6 SA, 5 AF, 3 AS and one OC.  In 3.6 hours...completely crazy.  Totally
wished I had gone to the quiet location and did a serious effort.  Oh well,
20/20 hindsight.

Was also fresh meat to the USA, keyer cranked up and enjoyed the 190/hr rate
while it lasted.

TC0X was 160 ATNO, so that was nice too.

K3, 1kw, shunt-fed tower, no RX (TX heard better than RX antennas...guess they
need rebuilding)

73,
Chad WE9V
http://www.we9v.com