[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1KG Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 27 11:36:31 EST 2020

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2020

Call: K1KG
Operator(s): K1KG
Station: K1KG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN42id
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:   23     9
  432:   27     7
  903:    5     4
  1.2:   11     4
  2.3:    3     2
  3.4:    3     3
  5.7:    2     2
  10G:    2     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  272    88  Total Score = 38,720

On Thursday before the contest, all was looking good for a January contest.
Noise levels were low and all bands were working. Not unexpectedly, the Hepburn
forecast was awful.  I checked the bands again on Friday and both 6 and 2 were
pretty much useless for weak signal use due to noise.  I decided I needed to do
something to make the contest interesting so I loaded both N1MM+ and WSJT-X into
the computer and got them working before the contest started - still high noise
on 6 and 2.

Long story short, I worked a bunch of stations that would otherwise have been
unlikely but I felt that the computer worked them, not me.  Even as an FT8
novice, I felt that I was able to make contacts with very little skill involved.
 I missed conversations along the way that had always brought back memories and
I felt that 73s on FT8 were just a way to end a contact, not a personal
interaction like they are on SSB or even CW.   As others have noted, contacts on
222 through 10 GHz seemed to be hurt by operating on FT8 but that may have been
due to icing conditions in other regions.  I kept going to SSB and CW but found
few on those modes.  I worked more FT8 on 6m than SSB and CW combined and had an
almost equal spit on 2m

Maybe January will be a mainly digital contest from now on, but I am certain I
will miss hearing the voices of friends during the contest.

Thanks to those who tried to work me and 73 to all!