[3830] CQ160 CW 9A1P Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 28 14:53:06 EST 2020

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: 9A1P
Operator(s): 9A1UN 9A2KD 9A2NA 9A3XV 9A4M 9A4QV 9A4WY 9A5CW LZ2HM S55M
Station: 9A1P

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Jn74of

Total:  QSOs = 2013  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 100  Total Score = 1,876,357

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

Around mid December the great openings on topband made me think about CQ160.
After spending the 9ACW contest with 9A0BB guys we tought about the possibility
to operate from an old short wave station that was shut off some time ago.
After granting access to the site we started to think about antenna
possiblities.
Having 4 130 meters high towers at disposal for one weekend was a topbanders
dream
coming true.
Together with S55M we made some EZNEC simulations and ended up with the best
electrical/mechanical solution. Plan was using delta loops, one driving element
with reflector towards USA, top @120m and botom of antenna at 75m agl. Single
element
for NE/SW.
We could come to the location thursday morning which gave as 2 days to setup
everything.
We split our crew on TX antenna guys (s55m,lz2hm and 9a4wy) and 2 beverage teams
9a3xv/9a2kd,
9a5cw/9a1un. At the end of the day we had the inband antenna beverages 300m away
from shack
with 4 directions plus 3 long beverages near shack.
Some minor problems with TX antennas made us spend most of the time friday, but
we were ready
until sunset. The rest of the time was used to complete the shack.
We had 1 run radio and 1 inband radio ready and everything was running few hours
before the contest.
After some test S55M and 9A4WY repaired a broken 8x2 RX switch and with the last
problem solved we
were ready. Big bad surprise was when we turned on USA beverage and noticed we
had s9 noise from
a nearby powerline. With found the broken insulator quite easy with the MW radio
in the car but was
too late to get it solved for the 1st night.
As the contest started it was clear that our RX was badly disturbed by the
powerline noise.
We strugled till the morning but couldnt really keep up the rates with others on
livescores. In the morning
we were like 12th on livescores. Fortunatly the electrycity company came in the
morning and solved the problem.
Now we had zero noise on all antennas and we were ready to start the contest in
full shape.
When sunset was approaching on W1 it was clear that it was going to be a good
night. We had the feeling we could
hear the grass growing in the US.
At the end we did reach 2000 qso 100 dxcc and 50 states which was basicaly our
target.
Congrats to the teams that did better, hats off.
We had great fun on the radio but even better time and jokes all the way from
thursday till the last beverage was removed
monday afternoon.
Thanks to OiV for leting us use their facility and everybody who help us in this
effort.

73 We Love this Game
9A1P Team