[3830] IARU VE3UTT SOAB(A)CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 12 09:28:31 EDT 2020

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: VE3UTT
Operator(s): VE3UTT
Station: VE3UTT

Class: SOAB(A)CW LP
QTH: FN04
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Remote Operation

   40:  208            21       24
   20:  149            23       37
   15:   95            19       25
   10:   15             5        5
-------------------------------------

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

Remote K3 / Optibeam

Well that was pretty brutal.  Remote was really wild this time.  First I could
hear stations and transmit but not change frequency; this would occur every few
minutes up to 20:15 UTC.  So I Tried not to change frequency and run which
worked when this happened in the past.  That didn’t work either every two or
three QSOs the K3 would hang in transmit so I had to press the “XMIT” button
one to three times to get it back in RX mode – mostly.  Sometimes I had to
shut off the K3 and turn it on again.  All this necessitated between 10 and 20
PC re-boots, Remote Rig unit restarts, and beaucoup frustration.  I tried to
tune the jitter delay, jitter buffer, and real-time transport protocol
parameters – to no avail.  I almost gave up altogether.  And just to add
additional spice, there were two total power failures at the house which caused
a lot of waiting until power was restored and everything re-booted.  Also there
were many times when Windows refused to follow my typing generating random
delays in entering calls and transmitting responses.

Then 20:15 UTC came.  Total QSOs to this point was 173.  For no reason all the
above problems ceased!  I was able to run with no problem and that lasted until
the contest was over.  However, my score was totally compromised so I only put
in a total of less than 5 more hours but made 294 additional QSOs.  Perhaps my
interned service at the cottage got the plague.
Good to see EU’s on 10m.

Hope all had fun.