[3830] IARU KQ4VT SOABSSB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 12 14:37:52 EDT 2020

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: KQ4VT
Operator(s): KQ4VT
Station: KQ4VT

Class: SOABSSB LP
QTH: Huntsville, AL
Operating Time (hrs): 9:09

   40:          36     10      13
   20:          87     10      10
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     123     20      23  Total Score = 12,083

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Band     QSOs     Pts  ITU  HQ   Pt/Q
     7      36      84   10   13   2.3
    14      87     197   10   10   2.3
 Total     123     281   20   23   2.3
Score: 12,083
1 Mult = 2.9 Q's

I enjoyed operating in this contest. Weather here in Alabama was typical for
July...hot and humid. I did not operate the full time in the contest, as other
activities required attention.

For me, the conditions were a bit noisy with quite a bit of QRN making many
contacts hard-won. The QRN seemed to fill 20 meters most of the time, but there
were some times that it was not bad...there was a bit of QSB from time to time,
as well. The noise was more intense on 40 meters, but surprisingly, I was able
to work most of the stations I called. Europe seemed to be quite prevalent on 40
meters just past primetime evening hours when I switched over from 20 meters.
Before switching to 40 meters, a loud ZL station was coming through, but the
competition was too fierce for someone with an 80M OCF Windom wire antenna and
100 watts on 20 meters, so after several futile calls I gave up trying to get
him and made the jump to 40 meters. The QRN was rough on 40 meters requiring a
lot of knob diddling to squeak out many stations. Most of the stations I worked
on 40 meters were Europeans. The DLs seemed to be the easiest to work for some
reason and usually only required one or two calls before making contact. I only
worked a few Central and South Americans on 40 meters...probably due to the
broadsides of the 40 meter Delta Loop being aimed east and west.

This was mostly a search and pounce effort for me but I did attempt a run for a
while on 20 meters and got a decent rate going. Some RF gremlins were chewing on
the cables between the rig and computer which caused the rig and computer to
lose connection every so often. It was somewhat random in nature but was more of
a problem during my attempt at making a run. I gave up that idea and figured I
could better control the logging software glitches that resulted from the RF
getting back to the computer with a slower but determined search and pounce
effort. I guess an investment in some ferrite cores is in my future. Oddly, I
get very little computer hash so the QRN on the bands for me was due to
conditions and not anything emanating from the shack.

Antennas:
DX 80 OCF Windom apex at ~32 ft
40 Meter Delta Loop apex at ~55-60 ft