[3830] IARU VE3NNT SOAB(A)CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 12 17:09:29 EDT 2020

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 19:06

  160:     8            3       1
   80:   148           17      13
   40:   603           24      27
   20:   784           24      19
   15:   206           15      17
   10:    59            9       8
-------------------------------------
Total:  1808    0      92      85  Total Score = 1,150,146

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good: Like a good bottle of wine, I'm improving with age. 2 years ago I
averaged 1.1 QSOs/minute. Last year I averaged 1.25. This year I averaged 1.63.
It was a pleasant surprise to find openings from here to Europe on both 15m and
10m. It was also a good surprise to work Reunion Island on 80m.

The bad: I didn't get enough sleep the night before the contest and struggled to
stay awake and motivated in the middle of the night. When things slowed down, I
gave up and decided to sleep for a couple of hours. Of course, I over slept my
alarm and only got back on for the last hour and a half. I never heard any JA
stations.

The ugly: With summer storms all around, the static level on 80m was unbearable,
S8 to S9. It was really a mental strain trying to pull call signs out of the
mud. I also need to track down some sources of interference, one that wipes out
small chunks of the 20m band (switched mode power supply somewhere north of
me)and another that makes my 160m receiving array useless (wide band power line
noise north west of me.

assistance. I'm running the vast majority of the time now. When doing S&P, I
use my spectrum display to quickly tune to stations and listen for their call
signs before transmitting. The spotting network really just saves me time typing
the call sign into N1MM. I'm not using the band display to find multipliers or
to jump to station frequencies, which likely explains why my HQ multiplier count
is low. At least half of the time, my telnet session was disconnected, which was
just fine while running. Next year, I think I'll enter the unassisted category.
It's nice to have the station set up for SO2R. It makes it quick and easy to
monitor 2 bands at the same time and to quickly switch between them. I'm a long
way from being able to do 2BSIQ or even SO2R effectively. This is something I
need to work on for next year. I have been practicing listening to 2 bands, one
in each ear, and the brain is starting to cooperate, but I still have to switch
to mono for weak signals.

Thanks for all the Qs. See you in the next one.