[3830] IARU AB1J SOABCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 12 19:43:41 EDT 2020

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA

  160:                  0
   80:   75     0       8       7
   40:  226     0      16      22
   20:  201     0      18      11
   15:   98     0      13       9
   10:   23     0       5       4
-------------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Solar stats at end of contest:
SFI 69
90 day SFI 69
Kp 1
SSN 0
90 day SSN 3

This was a receding horizon contest. I only wanted a couple hundred contacts,
but they came easily and I had fun so I decided on another hundred, and so on.
Rinse and repeat.  I was trapped in an infinite loop but was saved by the bell
when the contest ended.  Mercifully.

It was nice to see 15m and 10m open. Reminds me of olden times.

During the week I carried on an email argument with another ham about trends in
contesting, specifically online scoreboards, remote operating and Assistance.
It turned out not to be helpful and I regret it now because it accomplished
nothing but bad feelings, but these things came into play in the contest.  I
went Unassisted because I saw on the scoreboard (before the contest started)
that a friend was going that way, so I did, too.  Monkey see, monkey do.  I
enjoyed following him and other friends on the scoreboards. I took some break
time to look at the new Russian scoreboard format.  I'm in favor of them, but I
did hide my band breakdown this time.

There were a lot of keying problems which I suspect were from remote operations,
latency maybe.  On occasion keying became unintelligible.  One 80m station I
listened to for a long time was very badly scrambled.  I finally decided it was
K2LE and worked it, but the today I decided to X-QSO it out of my log.  I think
that means it will count for K2LE if it was K2LE, but won't count against me if
I was wrong.  I noticed in 3830 that K2LE was a remote distributed multiop.
Maybe they had some issues.

This contest is always good mid-summer therapy, especially in this year of the
pandemic.  Conditions are seldom great, but there's lots of activity and fun to
be had.  It gave me a chance to fiddle with my indoor mag loop antenna to handle
the noise on 80m and 40m.  It helps more on 80m.  It might work better if it
were outside but I could never put it outside without alarming the neighbors and
blowing my deep cover.  Anyway, on 80m between it and the proper receiver
adjustments I could tame the noise, natural and man made.

This contest and the NAQP-RTTY always bracket my birthday, which I cannot
postpone due to covid-19.  Sometimes I can do one contest or both.  This year I
could do the NAQP if I recover by then.

While I was writing this my wife was watching drag racing on TV.  I told her to
note that ham radio contesters are relatively normal by comparison. No
nitromethane fumes either.

Thanks for the QSOs and for digging my signal out of the noise and QSB.  I had a
lot of QSOs I didn't think would be possible.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+
20m, 15m & 10m attic dipoles
80m, 40m & 20m outdoor 66' stealth wire and indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog