[3830] CQWW VHF K4HQK SOSB/6 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 20 16:28:10 EDT 2020

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2020

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

    6:  64     19
    2:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  64     19  Total Score = 1,216

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Spent 3 hours Saturday and 5 on Sunday slogging through maximum competition and
minimum "worldwide" propagation. What I did experience was North
America, with two primary paths: One from New England to Florida that skipped
over my QTH, and another from my QTH to the upper Midwest, which did yield a few
QSOs.

The competition comment refers to the now-favorite modes of FT8/FT4. It may have
been easy to make FT8 QSOs with low power a couple of years ago, but today the
contest airwaves are jam-packed with it. With low power, success came slowly and
with difficulty--like, with a rate of 8/hour! ;-)

At the start of the contest I made 8 CW QSOs with nearby stations but no more
after that. A couple of weak distant stations on CW became audible Sunday but I
could not raise either. I checked the SSB portion of the band several times but
never heard anyone. This was truly a digital competition.

Station: Icom 7410 at 100w; 3-el. Cushcraft 6m Yagi at 25'.

73, John K4HQK