[3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 22 10:45:34 EDT 2020

                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1300Z Jul 22

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Illinois

Total:  190  Mults = 190  Total Score = 36,100

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Adding vitamins in the last week helped with better sleep and I can walk without
pain, but I am still exhausted and sleep about 16 hours a day.

37 WPM seems like a nice controllable speed.  7.032.6. Signals seemed louder on
40 so picked that instead of 20. Of course, even though it was hot outside, the
SteppIR did not work on 40 so used the inverted vee.  I wish I had another tower
up so I could do more experiments and see how important directivity is and work
on som summer receive antennas. Still having a bit of trouble with intermittent
connections on the coax extensions, but fortunately I have spare hardlines
inside the shack building.

It took a couple minutes to really get the run going, but after a bit there were
always 2-3 people calling. This worked great, but the downfall of this whole
session was that when I got a partial call, others kept calling and it took
extra tries to get others to stop.  This really, really cost a lot of QSOs and I
might have made it to 200.  At 1315 had 52 QSOs, and at 1330Z had 100. This is a
good sign.

At 1339Z the number of callers started to slow, but there were still plenty
calling and lots spotted, so the activity was still on 40.  I noticed that the
average signal level was decreasing as I got down into the lower layer.
Sometimes I called CQ without luck. This might have been a good time to go to
20, but the score would have hurt. At 1344Z still had 3 callers. At 1345 reached
150!  The last few minutes are still a struggle to keep the rate since so many
have been logged by then.  At 1355Z had to do a few CQs to get someone. This
really hurts the rate. Almost no W9 in the log.  Left a few on the table.
Needed about 4 minutes more to reach 200, and unfortunately there were a couple
of slots that had only 1 a minute.

The PGXL picked up an IP address for some reason and the XL Utility worked.  I
will have to get new headphones because of the fan noise, or move the amp to the
garage.  It still needs some fiddling to keep the output power consistent.
Today's work - go to town and find my parent's tree at the arboretum and figure
out why the new 6 meter beam has high SWR - probably the coax balun is the wrong
length.  Also it is about time to bring the 80 meter 4 square outside for final
assembly and contact the fencing company about the status of the thick wall
tubing I ordered for the bases.  I still have to load software on the new
computer, but that is best left for a real hot day, and after dark.