[3830] WPX CW ON3DI SO(A)SB20 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 1 06:53:32 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SO(A)SB20 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Hi all

Due to a promotion at work I missed the WPX RTTY an then corona hitted. It
seemed for a long time I had to cancel this contest. For a long period it wasn't
allowed to travel when it wasn't required. I'm someone who follows the rules, so
had no problem with it. A remote operation was the back-up plan. For that I
thank my friend Stefano, IZ3NVR!

But then I could travel again, could be qrv. Normally I would have done 40m qrp.
Won last year and it is always nice to defend your title. That was the plan
until fridayafternoon. Had a very busy week at work and 40m qrp means doing all
nighters,and I wasn't in the shape to do that. Days before the contest I noticed
some activity on 10m. But focusing on that band isn't possible for me. Looked at
the results on 20m and thought why not. When it wasn't going well I would play
on the other bands.

First since long that I wasn't qrv at the start of a contest. Started around
4utc, worked some DX UP and surprisingly K7/W7, just a couple but good for the
moral. The first 7 hours my rates were between 20-38qso's/hour. It was going
well but the signals were weaker and with more QSB then expected. On
Saturdayafternoon I was hoping for USA but I didn't hear them or very weak. For
example AA3B was hard to copy, even him... I went to bed around midnight with
380 qso's, happy with that result! Even were the rates between 10-15, sometimes
20qso's/hour. On Sunday I was back around 4utc and that was to early, band was
still closed. No K7 or JA like Saturday. Had to be happy with UN4L. Didn't know
he was also QRP, what a score btw, congrats! The rates were getting better, but
no special qso's, it was still hoping for an opening to America... And around
20utc I worked some DX, my first JA in the contest, 4Z4, it seems the band was
getting better and then USA was alive! Before this period I worked 7 USA, I know
a joke... The last three hours I worked 53 USA/VE and that saved my contest, my
score! Had to repeat my serial number a lot, but the qso's were logged. Also a
long time ago that I worked CX.

The whole contest I looked at YL2BJ his log last year, never thought that I
could have more qso's, never mind I would break his score.

Honestly this result is way beyond expectation... My antenna is NOT AT ALL for
20m!! The SWR is hugh, but can tune it for QRP operation. After 80m and 40m is
this now the third band I can manage to work 500+ qso's QRP! 583 is my personal
best during cq ww cw, this is close! Few years ago I was happy with 750 qso's
all band in qrp, that changed...
My top countries are K, DL and UA. Surprised that I could work so many local
statios (DL, F, PA) and that was good otherwise the rates would have been very
low.
My average is around 16 qso's/hour. That means a lot of time between qso's and a
long time behind the radio...
And even I wasn't active during the nights, I was longer qrv then during my
contests on 80m and 40m, nice!

Very curious where I will end with this score, it is the eight best score all
time... When I win this one, it means that I don't need the low bands and
nightshifts and that would be nice! Would also be nice for my queste to win one
major contest a least on every band. Won already on 10m, 40m and 80m.

Thanks for all the qso's, I knew I was weak but had some nice rates on my CQ, cw
is getting better and I love it. The difference with RTTY is big and that will
be a problem... In RTTY I can be happy with 300qso's, cw can be the double.

Anyway next contest will be IARU, had fun last year. Will be all band cw.

Working conditions:
Vertical antenna, ft897, 5w, N1MM+

73

Pieter ON3DI