[3830] WPX CW WX3B SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 2 16:17:17 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Maryland

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Taking a page out of my good friend Bill Schwartz's book, my original plan was
to operate starting just before sunrise on Sunday and operate the entire day,
staying on the highest band that would allow a good run!!

Unfortunately, I got caught a little cold and had a lazy/late Sunday morning
start at 9:30am and I was already LATE to the party on 10 meters which was
enjoying a very nice E-skip opening to Europe.  Most of the 51 stations I ran on
that band were Europeans - many were fairly weak, and it was easy to tell who
was running high power vs.low power.

Next stop:  15 meters, the band that *sounded* wide open.  I felt that the band
was open FAR BETTER than my run indicated.  As fresh meat, I should have had
quite a pileup, but that never happened.  I had a decent rate for about 90
minutes then decided it was time for a break.

In the early evening, I decided to have some fun on 20 as fresh meat.  I quickly
learned that my plan to have fun with the thick pileup wasn't as much fun in CW
contests with serial numbers.  Too many of "received" numbers were
QRMed by the pileup!!  Next stop:  40 meters, which was also a non-stop ball of
fun, and lots of hungry callers.  This time I played another game:  fish out the
6 pointers among the pileup with half USA callers.

My last QSY was to 80 meters, which was mostly USA callers responding to my CQ.
Only a few of the BIG GUNS were loud at the end of the contest, including LZ5R,
who I was unsuccessful trying to contact.

All in all, the contest was quite fun in the 6 plus hours I played; I enjoyed
riding 10 & 15 for all they were worth.  It is fun hearing EU on these
bands.

I was very pleased with my station - everything worked great!  It is going to
work even better when my (2) sources of power line noise are removed, a project
I hope that concludes this summer.

Lots of PVRC activity and some truly incredible scores and records broken this
past weekend.

73!

Jim   WX3B