[3830] WPX CW OE1CIW SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jun 3 03:19:19 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: OE1CIW
Operator(s): OE1CIW
Station: OE1CIW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN88EE
Operating Time (hrs):

2020 CQ WPX CW Contest - Incredible propagation!!!
OE1CIW SO AB LP

OMG what a great contest - that really was a lot of fun, fun, fun .... and once
more fun 😃.

I´m so happy to see that the shortwave bands were in an excellent shape despite
of no sunspots! We had also big Sporadic-E openings almost the whole time! So
for the first time i didn´t know which band i should use first - almost every
kilohertz was occupied by any station ... was not easy to get a free space for
calling CQ especially when using low power!

The crowd of stations was tremendous all over the time. Just the 36 hour rule
for single operators has stopped my energy to work totally 48 hours. I was
active day and night for slightly less than 36 hours.

When was the last time while i had 168 contacts on 15 m and 150 contacts (!) on
10 m actually ? It´s a long time ago when i saw the shortwave bands so
crowded!!!

Because recently we had band openings at 10 and 15 m until late night i decided
to try these bands first and it was a good decision. At 15 m i could also work
some US stations in the first hour. I didn´t hear US stations anymore after
this time on 15 m - just worked FY5FY at Saturday evening after 2100z (!) and
PX2A after 1900z on the last day - no other station worked from South America.

Big surprise for me was ZR2A/4 on 40 m from South Africa which has been worked
after the first call.

Nothing heard from any japanese station or VK/ZL, just heard some chinese BY
stations but it seems they only have big power amplifiers but they´re always
deaf.

I also had no luck with Chile ... CE3CT on 15 m and 3G2M on 20 m even though
their signals were not weak. Same procedure with CJ3A from Canada on 20 m ...
unfortunately he didn´t hear me.

I was glad to meet a lot of wellknown stations - e.g. MM3AWD Scott on 40 m with
his last activity from his QTH in Scotland before his move to England and Mario
DD7CW on 20 m.

Don´t forget it ... i´m using just 100 watts from a Elecraft K3 and simple
wire antennas in the attic under the roof of the house - that´s all!

My contest logging software is DXLog 2.4.21 and the morse code key is my beloved
HST II single lever key <3 .

These were my highlights during the contest:

40 m: 48 x USA, WP2DX US Virgin Islands, ZR2A/4 South Africa, 4X6FR Israel

20 m: 29 x USA, VE9CB Canada, WP2DX US Virgin Islands, WP4X Puerto Rico, D4Z Cap
Verde,

VE3JM Canada, KP2M US Virgin Islands, TI7W Costa Rica, 4X6FR Israel

15 m: 8 x USA, FY5FY French Guiana, PX2A Brazil, 9H1XT Malta

10 m: 3V8SS Tunisia, 4X0A Israel, EF8R Canary Islands, LX2LX Luxembourg

Thank you so much for the awesome contest and thank you for every single
contact! I hope to see you in the next contest 🙂

73 de Mike OE1CIW