[3830] WPX CW AI1TT(W1WBB) SO(A)SB80 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jun 3 12:21:46 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: AI1TT
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: SO(A)SB80 LP
QTH: RI

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Icom IC-7300 @ 100 watts to recently constructed 'temporary' 80m Half Diamond
modified vertical loop (upside down vee apex at 55 feet, a half dozen short
ground radials under each vee leg, fed via balun/coax at near leg end) -
broadside NE/SW; 88 foot doublet up near 40 feet (secondary TX *and occasional
RX* antenna), and 40m Half-Square with horizontal wire at 30 feet used via tuner
for 80m use (for close-in/regional contacts).  The new 80m Half Diamond (low
angle radiator) performed very well into Eu... nice to be called by them at
times with my 100 watts!  It was more narrow-banded than expected (more frequent
use of tuner needed than expected) - to be investigated.

Terrible thunderstorms in Northeast within 200 miles of my QTH on Night 1 (thru
about 0430Z) made copy quite difficult ... hence, lots of serial # repeat
requests.  Local sunset here at 0015Z for WPX CW and first two hours each
evening (00-02Z) were quite slow with most ops on 20m/40m bands.

Managed to work 24 Eu on Night 1 thru the heavy QRN.  Put 29 Eu (and an EA8 from
Af) in the log with much quieter and slightly improved conditions on Night 2.  A
few slight improvements to the very modest ground radial system were made during
Saturday daytime.  25 VE and only CO2, HH, KP2, TI and XE for NA DX.  Only PAC:
VK2CCC was copied just above the noise but never heard me.  I missed operating
local sunrise on Sunday morn after having pulled the plug at 07Z for needed
rest.

Many thanks to all the 80m CW callers ... I had a lot of fun in this one, even
if the rates on this band weren't real great.  The exponential growth in WPX of
one's score as the contest progresses is always cool.  All AI1TT QSOs to Clublog
and LoTW.

73, W1WBB
primary op @ AI1TT