[3830] ARRL June VHF KX9X SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 14 23:29:21 EDT 2020

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: KX9X
Operator(s): KX9X
Station: KX9X

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: Illinois

    2:    2     1
  222:
  432:    2     1
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  271    97  Total Score = 26,481

Club: Twin City Amateur Radio Club (Champaign-Urbana, IL)

Comments:

This was my first semi-serious effort in a contest at my own home since 2012.
Since moving back to central Illinois in 2019, I have started to assemble a
modest station at my apartment. a 3-El 6m yagi at 20' and a 5-el 2m yagi at 25',
both on a telescoping mast was all I used for this event. Ran 100w from an Icom
746PRO. Couldn't get FT8 to work before the contest, so I stuck with SSB/CW.

Conditions were excellent here in central Illinois; a little Southwest to start
off Saturday afternoon, which shifted to New England for several hours Saturday
evening. Managed to work AF1R/R in FN51, which is certainly nice to find.

Got up Saturday morning an worked more New England, including W1AIM/Rover in
FN45! I've operated from FN45 twice, and both times resulted in very few QSOs. I
hope Chip fared better than I did... always sweet to work a rare grid. Things
slowed down for a few hours in the afternoon before starting to open again to
the west. VE5MX was loud and the only game in town for a while.

Sunday evening ,the band exploded in every direction. I was working Texas to
Minnesota, Florida to Wyoming and back up to New England. Best conditions I've
heard on 6 in a while. The band shortened up for a bit, working short into
eastern Nebraska and Tennessee. Finally made it to California with an hour left
in the contest.

I didn't hear any SSB/CW on 2 meters... made only a couple of token FM QSOs on 2
and 440. But I nearly worked VUCC in a weekend, and you can't beat that.

Great fun! Thanks for all the QSOs.

Sean KX9X