[3830] ARRL June VHF W4PK Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 15 17:56:25 EDT 2020

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  17     9
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  17     9  Total Score = 153

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A couple of hours before the contest started N1MM started sending me a bunch of
error messages telling me that its database was "malformed".  To make
a very long story short I ended up replacing the hard drive on my ancient
Windows 7 32-bit machine.  Fortunately I had cloned a spare hard drive and I was
able to swap it out.  I had just finished adding WSJT-X to N1MM when I saw a few
Europeans being decoded.  I even started calling one of them but they were all
in the process of fading out. This was about 6:00PM Saturday and I made only 7
contacts with FT8 stations before calling it a night.

Sunday morning I made the mistake of upgrading N1MM to the latest version and
now I started getting error messages again, but this time only a couple of them
having to do with SQlite and something about a "VACUUM".  But in the
process of trying to figure out what was going on I lost the 7 QSO's I had
logged last night!

I also found out that in order to use WSJT-X with my IC7800 radio I had to set
the radio type to "NONE" in N1MM in order for WSJT-X to work properly
(i.e, shift the transmit frequency depending on which part of the audio band I
was transmitting).  So if I wanted to switch to cw I had to close out WSJT-X and
change from "NONE" to 7800 as the radio type.  Otherwise I could not
key the radio!  I am sure that there are ways of making the mode switch easier
but I was fast losing interest in solving this problem.

I also noted that WSJT-X does not inform you that you had already worked a
station  when using the NA contest mode.  I did look in the "settings"
tab and it was set.  However, it does work for non-contest contacts, at least
for me.

The older I get the less I know.....

73, Sam W4PK