[3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jun 18 00:36:53 EDT 2020

                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Jun 17

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Illinois

Total:  182  Mults = 164  Total Score = 29,848

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Started on 20.  When I sensed that the rate was dropping at 1943Z I went to 40
knowing I would take a hit on multipliers, but the rate should improve. This
would have been a really good score but I was worn out from unsuccessfully
trying to get DX on 6 meters.

I figure one has to do:

4 QSOs a minute = 240
3 QSOs a minute = 180
To reach 200 you need 20 more contacts =>> so every 3 minutes you have to
fit in another contact (4 per minute)  There must be some 5 a minute times to
make up for a missing slot.

If you don’t get an entire call the first time and this happens a couple times
it counts against the 20 extra contacts you need.   It you call CQ a couple
times without luck it counts against the 20 extra contacts.  If the band has
strong signals, then S&P can yield 3 QSOs a minute, but 40 seemed like it
was down about 20 db from 20 meters.

I had some missed calls, some perfect zero beat callers and I missed the call.
Only a few tail enders, so there were at least 18 mistakes in the course of an
hour.  I love it when I can pick up two callers at once.  There were some 2 QSOs
a minute.

I tried something new.  When I sensed the rate was dropping, I switched bands.
This hurt the score due to working guys I had previously worked, so no new
multipliers, but after a couple minutes the rate came up again.

Activity was very good, but not much propagation out west, and few close in
Midwest.  Sometimes we have wonderful, strong propagation everywhere.  Signals
were noticeably weaker on 40 and this is usually the money band.  (probably more
so in the winter when we easily cover the whole USA and some Europeans pop in,
but I have 7 choices for receive antennas in the winter.)

I am still plugging away on getting to SO2R, but it is very slow going.

Here are some ideas for doing better:
1. Every 3 minutes must do 4 a minute
2. No screw ups in sending or receiving
3. No dupes
4. Get calls first time
5. Best conditions for us are when the band is open both east and west
6. Get 2 calls at once
7. Get the weak guy on the first try
8. Computer should not hang like it always does when you use the paddle
9. Use 1500W
10. Lots of older numbers and newbies show up
11. No lulls in CWing
12. Have both short and long skip, lots of Midwest
13. Need conditions to be open the the PAC NW to help fill in the runs
14. Get partial calls
15. Need to work Europe
16. Need Strong signals on the major band
17. SO2R will help with a lot of this
18. Reached 100 at 1930Z
19. Relax and be a machine
20. 1938Z 120 QSOs
21. 40 had weak signals - about 20dB weaker than 20.
22. Too many CQ without answers.
23. Rate picked up at the very end
24. Inverted vee seemed better than the beam