[3830] ARRL June VHF AF1R/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 22 22:28:06 EDT 2020

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: AF1R/R
Operator(s): AF1R
Station: AF1R/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  203    71  Total Score = 17,537

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Six grids: FN32, FN33, FN41, FN42, FN43, and FN51
All contacts on SSB - no FT8

Drove 2 hours (4 hours round trip) on Saturday to activate FN51 on the Cape
(Cape Cod). When I arrived, I discovered 3 of the 4 coax cables I threw in my
car had N connectors and all of my external antennas and my FT-991 have SO-239
connectors. I had grabbed the cables I used for the Spring Microwave Sprint, not
the coax cables I usually use for the VHF contests. All my adapters were at
home, too. So, I got a 40 minute late start thinking about the best strategy to
use with just one coax cable and four antennas. I ended up cycling through my
antennas for the regulars, then stayed on 6M on my Moxon. I had planned to leave
by 4 P.M., but with my late start, and getting mini-pileups as a few midwest and
southern stations discovered FN51 was active, I decided to stay and give out
FN51 contacts to everyone who wanted it. After 57 Q's and no more responses to
my CQs, I packed up and left at 6:00 P.M.

It put me late into the next two grids. At 8:30 P.M.(after watching a
spectacular sunset on the drive) I arrived at FN41, a Walmart parking lot, just
south of the FN42/FN41 boundary, where I normally need to make a number of phone
calls to get some activity, but I discovered 6M was still hot. I made three
contacts with the 6M whip and decided I would do better with a better antenna. I
quickly put up my PAR antenna omniloop (I like this antenna - 1 minute assembly
and disassembly) and stayed for an hour to work 18 more stations.

I headed home to FN42, but stopped at the parking lot (up on a hill) at my home
town high school and worked three stations in FN42 before driving the last mile
home and arriving at midnight. I put the Bioenno Power 40AH battery on charge,
swapped the N coax for PL-259 coax, ate some real food and got about 6 hours of
sleep.

On Sunday I drove to my usual locations in NH: Kearsarge, Pack Monadnock, and
the grid corner near Peterborough to work FN43, FN42, FN32 and FN33.

About 450 miles of driving, 27 hours on the road (away from my house), and 8
hours of operating time