[3830] ARRL FD K1KA 1E HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 29 13:05:44 EDT 2020

                    ARRL Field Day - 2020

Call: K1KA
Operator(s): K1KA
Station: K1KA

Class: 1E HP
QTH: NH

  160:   0        0     14
   80:   0        0     54
   40:   0      222     46
   20:   0      698     34
   15:   0      530     18
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0     1450    166  Total Score = 1,932

Club: Granite State ARA

Comments:

1782 QSO pts + 150 Bonus pts.

Operated 1E from home with the 22 KW whole house generator loafing along. Was
trying to build the point total for our club, so I started running on 20M at as
low a power level as I needed to maintain the run. Typically power was between
about 200w to 500W but still in the HP category. Ran much less on digital.
Typically around 50W. I am always tempted to try running on CW but I know that
would be a disaster as my CW skills are not up to running. Lets face it I get
tongue tide enough of Phone, but I was able to run almost the whole time at good
rates on phone. Even counting the slow times on FT4, my log program says I
averaged about 100/hr overall. My peak was 186. Even at twice the points I could
not do half that on CW. I only stayed on Digital long enough to give my voice a
break or until the rate was down into the 50s.

I totally lost my voice in the last 25 minutes and finished on FT4.

I checked 15M a few times on Saturday, but not much there, however on Sunday
there was plenty of activity. Hit my peak rate twice then. Same with FT4 - not
much early but later on Saturday night and Sunday activity perked up. Could not
see any advantage with FT8 (except the 14 Qs on 160 where there is no FT4). The
few extra db would not make up for the even slower rate.

Odd events:
Had 4 Alaska QSOs but only 1 each with nearby CT, ME, RI, VT and I had to look
for those specifically on 80M FT4.

15m was also odd, On Sunday I was working short skip EPA, VA, MDC, SNJ while
also working another hop into STX, NTX, LA, OK, KS and then the west coast. All
with about the same signal strengths.

Worked plenty of WWA and EWA, ID, MT, UT, all the CAs, but only 1 OR.

Thanks for all the Qs.

73 Dave K1KA