[3830] ARRL FD K5OF 1E LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 29 14:42:56 EDT 2020

                    ARRL Field Day - 2020

Call: K5OF
Operator(s): K5OF
Station: K5OF

Class: 1E LP
QTH: WILLISTON NC
Operating Time (hrs): 19 1/2

  160:
   80:          208
   40:          906
   20:          511
   15:           12
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0     1637     0  Total Score = 1,637

CLAIMED SCORE QSO POINTS X POWER MULTIPLIER = 3274

Station:
RV camper generator
Rig purchased in 1985. Moth balled and not on air since 2001. Memory battery
replaced by me approximately 3 weeks ago. Performed FB!
Outboard DVK
Manual antenna switches (Two) – feeding OCF 80-20M 60-65 feet high, Flag
dipole 80-20M 30-35 feet high, 15M dipole 25 feet high hung approximately 3
hours before event (last minute thought/addition between two magnolia trees).
One dummy load for testing, etc.
Old Dentron tuner with switchable inductance, worked FB!
Computer logging
TrippLite LC2400 line conditioner to protect electronics

Goal:
To have fun and Run! Run! Run! maximizing rate. Improve and keep up with skills.

Upon the recent events I decided I would operate as a 1E and put in the maximum
single op effort I could muster for the 24-hour period. Since I work the over
nightshift at our local hospital screening all persons who enter for the
COVID-19 in a support role for our clinical staff I figured I could do this and
still get some rest while maximizing the rate and goal of filling the log. I am
use to some sleep deprivation! I have not done a single effort since the late
1990’s preferring multi efforts as I always have fun with those who have been
gracious who have invited me to occupy a chair and have learned a great deal on
contesting!

The strategy I decided on was the bread and butter bands 80M to 20M due to the
fact of the antennas I had available, population density up and down the east
coast and to the mid-west states to maximize qso’s. The numbers speak for
themselves and it worked for me. I was not concerned with far distance qso’s
(w6-w7’s) and if the antennas played well and the prop gods were with me all
the better!

Basically, I was using a sweepstakes strategy to maximize runs and qso numbers.

I love running! Once I observed the rate beginning to drop and approach
approximately 40-50 hour I made a decision on a band change and it paid off. I
knew from the beginning of the effort the antennas were playing well, I could
run, keep a rate going, and just needed to focus on that rate meter and pull the
trigger on a band change.

I know from many they dislike, despise, hate or avoid phone but I love it. My cw
skills are lacking big time so phone is for me until I can improve those and I
have no interest in FT4/FT8 at this time. Maybe those will come later….but if
you want rate CW or Phone is the way to go and that is where my adrenaline will
take me.

The numbers and high lights:
83.4/hour
140/hour 0040z on 20M
140/hour 1600z on 40M

Band change late in the game for a few 15M Q’s when 20M rate began to drop
which gave me a boost than went back to 20M for a rate increase!

Stayed high in the bands on 20M and 40M which helped to keep run frequency, work
all those general classes and folks stuck and home/limited by their license
class. OCF on 80M worked very well around 3775, no qrm from undesirables, clear
frequency, and had to go low for the OCF to work well with tuner.

Operating time approximately 19 hours and 30 minutes. A little sleep/rest at
0730z-1130z

Wife brought me a large steak and cheese loaded but could not eat due to
running! It became a after event meal with an 807!

OCF was an outstanding antenna! Performed great! Flag I believe is just a too
low and possibly I can improve on its height.

The Tripplite is highly recommended for those using a generator.

When I crashed out at approx. 0730Z I was sitting at approximately 1114 q’s
and was expecting I may end up with 1400-1500 q’s and was very happy with the
final
1637! Keeping up the rate above my possible 60 hour did the trick.

High light for me was working Scott W5WZ in LA whom I was able to guest op in
March for the ARRL SSB Test prior to the Covid-19. 73! Ed K5OF in Williston, NC