[3830] NCQP N4E(@K4QPL/M) Mobile Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 1 22:03:09 EST 2020

                    North Carolina QSO Party - 2020

Call: N4E
Operator(s): K4QPL K3TD
Station: K4QPL/M

Class: Mobile Mixed LP
QTH: NC

   80:  176      8       0
   40:  358     28       0
   20:  108      4       0
   15:    0      0       0
   10:    0      0       0
    6:    0      0       0
    2:    0      0       0
----------------------------
Total:  642     40     682  Mults = 63  Total Score = 126,378

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Tad,K3TD, and I always look forward to the NCQP and a chance to roam the
countryside hitting as many counties as we can with a new pileup at every county
line as our friends call in to get the mults and for some, new counties towards
the County Hunter awards.
We usually make it a whole weekend, but we were unable to do SCQP this year as I
had too much work to get out of the way before heading to VP5 to do the ARRL DX
SSB contest with the VP5M team.
We had hoped for a relaxing 9 hours but Murphy had other ideas. My laptop
wouldn't play nice with the Icom 7610 drivers so we switched to the backup K3s
which got us off to a slow start. We also noted no activity was shown for VANce
so we detoured west before our original starting point of WARren to add that to
the circuit.
After the first hour or so I noticed the battery was slowly going down in my
laptop despite being plugged into a 120VAC inverter. Seems the Lenovo Thinkpad
wants 170 watts and the cheap inverter wuuld only give it 120 and then went to
System Red. So a hurried visit to the auto parts store to get a bigger one, make
a direct under hood battery connection and trail the AC line back through the
door. But that solved the problem and we didn't have to QRT half way through.
We ran through the usual areas with S9 line noise and all we could do was ask
the peleton to wait until we got some quiet air. Overall band conditions were
good enough for western and EU DX to work us on at least one band in each
county. Several nailed us on all three.  We tried to hand out some SSB Q's, but
that's always problematic being mobile. We also didn't want to leave the CW
pileups until they were mostly dried up.
Best news was that the day was 100% for fun and we made a point of using 3
bands, even when they didn't have the best rate. As a Special Event Spelling Bee
bonus station we were not eligible for awards. Thanks to the hard work of the
NCQP organizers for letting us put North Carolina on the map.
QSL's can go to either K3TD or myself, both good in QRZ.
See you next year!
73,
Jim, K4QPL
Tad, K3TD