[3830] NCQP N4FP/M Mobile SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 3 15:14:22 EST 2020

                    North Carolina QSO Party - 2020

Call: N4FP/M
Operator(s): N4FP
Station: N4FP

Class: Mobile SO Mixed LP
QTH: roaming NC

----------------------------
Total:  159     0       0  Mults = 36  Total Score = 16,956

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I feel I need to apologize to many stations for my poor performance and
inability to copy their call signs. Started out in Guilford County with intent
to run 19 counties.  Conditions were awful with very high wide band (20 kHz)
rolling noise making copy very difficult. Made 7 contacts in Guilford in 35
minutes.  My wife Marty, N4GL, was driving and recognized my frustration.  We
decided it was going to be a lost cause that wasn't worth 10 hours of her
driving, and we headed back with me driving toward I-95 and Florida. After an
hour of driving, I decided to try again and worked 38 stations in Randolph in
just over an hour. Not good, but better.  Decided to take an alternate route to
I95 that would maximize our counties. I drove through the heavier traffic areas
to the pleasure of N4GL. Results not very good; worked what I could in Chatham
(17), Alamance (23), Orange (16), Durham (37), Wake (13), and Harnett (8) and
decided to call it a day.  Stopped in Robeson County  on I95 for the night with
an hour left in the contest and listened on 40. Nothing but noise and gave up.

To make a long story shorter, when we got back to Ocala, FL Tuesday afternoon, I
listened to 20 and 40 from the mobile and heard the same poor conditions.
Suspecting a possible station issue, I ran a cord from the house to the car and
plugged the computer and monitor directly into 110 rather than the inverter.
Presto! Great band conditions. So, bottom line, I have an inverter issue and
need to do make some serious adjustments and do testing before the Florida QSO
Party, which has been a serious contest for me the past 8 years. after a few
days with family in Greensboro, NCQP was planned to be a FQP pre-test to check
things out but I had no idea how bad it was going to be.

For those I did work, thanks for your patience.

Flex 6400, Horizontally mounted Hustler resonators atop 3 ft mag mounted mast on
roof. PC and monitor connected to 400 watt inverter, running Flex SDR software
and N1MM+.  Flex connected directly to heavy duty 12 vdc line from battery.