[3830] ARRLDX SSB WB8WKQ SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 20:49:28 EDT 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  506   207  Total Score = 314,226

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Man, that's a long contest!  Friday night and all day Saturday, I was pretty
"gung-ho".  But Sunday came along, and I forced myself to get on the
radio, and really did pretty crappy on Sunday.  The WX was nice here on Sunday
in Michigan, and I just couldn't devote my attention to contesting.  But, on the
bright side, I think this is my best score to date for this contest.  Running
barefoot is another animal and along with this miserable call of mine, it
expended a lot of energy.  5-10 times repeating my call was the norm for most
Q's.  Needless to say, I won't be talking for a few days, hi hi.  The bands
seemed pretty decent for this part of the sunspot cycle.  15 was open much of
the day to S.A. and the Caribbean, with "splatterings" of EU, mainly
Spain, Portugal and Italy, and a couple Africans.  It was fun pointing the beam
at Japan and working quite a few on 20M in the late afternoon.  Even stumbled
across a Hong Kong station calling CQ and I was the only one that went back to
him!  I'm sure that changed once he got spotted.  Being barefoot, the lower
bands (40-80-160) were pretty tough, as you can see in my QSO breakdown.  Over
half of all my Q's were on 20M, where it was "wall to wall" EUs during
the day.  Pretty fun, but either I'm getting too old, or this contest was about
24 hours too long.  Thanks to all for the Q's.