[3830] ARRLDX SSB AD5A SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 22:00:53 EDT 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: AD5A
Operator(s): AD5A
Station: AD5A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: STX

   10:   21     8
-------------------
Total:  659   243  Total Score = 480,411

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I rarely do SSB contests, much less at LP. Not sure what I was thinking, but
there I was, with 100 watts and a microphone. It was a grind to say the least.
Even though I have some nice antennas, low power SSB is hard work, especially
from Texas in a DX contest. I elected to change my sleep a little, sacrificing
the wee hours when I can run JA's on 40m CW for a little more S&P tome
looking for mults, believing that at low power, the runs wouldn't be as
productive. Actually, I did a lot more S&P and when looking at mult totals
from similarly situated stations, I believe the strategy paid off. Until
sunspots allow us to spread out some on the higher bands, there just isn't
enough room on 20m and 40m in a phone contest.

My contest station is literally in the middle of nowhere and I was there by
myself, with no distractions. I just sat in front of the radio. Although I have
to get up and walk around at least every 2 hours. I had several 15 minute walks
during the weekend. I also think it helps me stay focused.

I also used my new Flex 6600 for the first time. I really like that radio, but
it seemed that the radio lost connection with the software a larger than normal
number of times necessitating a reboot of the radio. Probably something i forgot
to do in set-up, but it was a bit annoying. I need to get that solved. Otherwise
the station ran well. You can see a description and picture of the contest
station antennas on my QRZ page. It's the second photo down. I cant' ever
remember all the dimensions:-)

Thanks for the QSO's and it seemed that most of the crowd was well behaved this
weekend. Thanks for the QSO's.