[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7HKR SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 9 04:57:43 EDT 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AZ

  160:   0      0
   80:   7      5
   40:  20      1
   20:  19     13
   15:  16     12
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  62     46  Total Score = 8,556

9-foot diameter loop (40/80), 6-foot diameter loop (20/40), 2el short-beam Yagi
(15), 100W, IC-7300 from AZ

I think this is the first contest I’ve done 4 times.  The last two years, I
pretty much hated it, and I’m really not sure why I came back this year.  I
had some time available (very rare this year due to a major job-related
project), and forced myself to put up and take down antennas as needed.  Had
problems with the control electronics for the capacitor-tuning mechanism for the
loops, so I had to struggle with that at times.

That said, the contest itself actually wasn’t too bad!  Scored almost as much
as the last two years combined, mainly from more mults.  Didn’t work a lot
beyond about 3000 miles, except for some decent propagation to SA on 15 and 20.
Missed the best early morning times on 40/80 so only worked one JA and no ZL or
VK.  Got 2 stations on all 4 usable bands.  Heard a few EU stations.  Worked 8
fellow low-power stations.  Amusingly worked one station on 20 with my 15m Yagi
at an SWR of about 10.