[3830] ARRLDX SSB W3HKK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 9 14:34:34 EDT 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OHIO

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  267   168  Total Score = 134,568

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The all-wire antenna farm at W3HKK includes:
-1/4 wave 52' tall INV-Ls for 160 and 80m.
-2 el vertical phased arrays for 40 and 20m.
-the 2-el  20m phased array also  works pretty well on 15m.
- 1/4 wave GP for 10m.

ICOM7610>>>>ACOM1000 amp at 800w out. N1MM+ Logging

Comments: The old vocal cords   rarely tolerate  ssb contesting so Im mostly on
cw these days.  So I started out a casual S&P effort, not sure how long the
voice would last.  Turns out  it was 13:37 hrs of a pleasant surprise.

Propagation:
160m:   very good into the Caribbean but marginal to EU here in central Ohio.
80m:  strong sigs from  all over but once again it is my most neglected band for
reasons even I dont fully understand.  Guess  40 is more fun and less noise.
Prize catches were T32. VK, ZL, JA.
40: my best band for Q's and Mults. Decent morning into KH2-VK-ZL-JA.
20: second best band. PY0-V55 and ZS6.  Heard Brunei in the noise.
15: pretty good cndx overall with  PY leading the way. LOTS of S.A.. Great job
by the PY boys with several at 100w and 1 QRPer at 5w.

All in all, the bands kept me busy. Was running  100% S&P mode, mainly
looking for new ones or  exotic calls.  When I didnt find many, I tried to max
my multipliers on  each band, and paid no attention to rate.

This contest had the overall strongest showing by S.A., esp my #1  QSO total (PY
with 26), and a good number of CE's, LU's and others.
The Caribbean islands were all over the bands!

Heard many of the club members on the air.