[3830] ARRLDX SSB EA5S(@EC5K) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 10 10:12:31 EDT 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: EA5S
Operator(s): EA5S
Station: EC5K

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 1269    60
Total: 1269    60  Total Score = 228,420

Uff, that was hard going!

I operated this one from EC5K’s place, big thanks to Victor for hosting me in
my first contest with the EA5S call after 26 years as EA5ON. The original idea
had been to put up all three antennas: the KT34XA at 40’ for the closer in
stations, the 16 element momobeam tribander at 80’ for the further away
stations, and the Steppir DB42 at 60’ for Victor to use on 40m and for me to
use on 20 through the day as an option. In the end, the wind meant that we
didn’t crank up either the KLM or the SteppIr, which meant no 40m for Victor.
Instead, we plugged in the triplexor and Victor did a 15m entry. No real loss
for me as all three antennas are 4 elements on 20, and in the end I think Victor
was happy that 15 opened and he didn’t stay up all night in the 40m slugfest.

All in all a slow and frustrating contest. I spent the first couple of hours
trying to figure out why on earth the com ports disappeared from time to time
and left the CAT inactive. Again, not a show stopper as I was unassisted and
mostly running, but still a pain. At some stage of rebooting, changing cables,
etc., it finally stopped beeping and started working. As usual from this part of
the world, running is a slow process during the day and I alterned with s&p
when the frequency got unacceptably noisy. Once the sun hit the horizon things
improved and the band was still open at 9pm local when I had to leave. Sunday
was pretty much a repeat performance only worse, since I’d already worked all
the big guns, propagation was worse, local qrn was higher, and it was just so
much harder to pull people out. At 9.30pm there wasn’t much more to be had so
I switched off and packed the gear back in the car.

In spite of what might seem a lackluster contest there are still lots of
positives: We were both able to run 1kw through the same triband antenna and not
notice any trace of the other station. I still consider this to be nothing short
of black magic. There were no serious frequency fights, although plenty of
frustrating moments. I was able to say hello to friends, although I noticed
fewer than usual. Murphy didn’t come visit (apart from the PC) and we didn’t
break anything. I hope I managed to work some new generals and put a smile on
someone’s face, even though I couldn’t run too much in the general
frequencies. It certainly seemed the band was open way our west and north and
lots of long 7 calls in the log. And last but not least, the sun shone all
weekend!

Kudos to Javi EB4A at ED1R, he beat me fair and square :)

Rig IC7610. Power 1kw (Expert 1,3k). 4 elements at 80’

73 de Duncan EA5S