[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 15 01:37:53 EDT 2020

                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: California

   80:   49       3
   40:   58       4
   20:   30       1
---------------------

Club: Loma Prieta Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Thanks to everyone who got on to combat the low-participation aspect of this
contest in recent years.  And, special thanks to the non-contesters who took
pity on our struggle and chimed in with a few QSOs.  It's ironic that the only
contest I've ragchewed with non-contesters is RTTY Sprint!

Over 10% of my QSOs were dupes.  Perhaps I was logging NILs or some folks
thought dupes were scored.  In any case, the dupes provided more operating in an
otherwise slow event.   ;>)

I've really neglected maintenance of the home QTH in recent years, so used wire
dipoles on 20 and 40.  There is RF arcing on 40 somewhere, limiting power out to
50 watts, so I struggled on that band.  Then, 80 also had occasional arcing that
faulted out the 87A every other transmission.

As if the antenna situation weren't challenging enough I swapped in new Windows
10 PCs for the old 32-bit Windows 7 boxes yesterday and today.  W6NL advises
"don't change the spark plugs just before the race", but I ignored
that wise practice.  Nothing major happened, but lots of small annoyances to
deal with.

Pleased to hear at least two DC stations, but I managed to miss a handful of
other mults that were on.  Called Dean 8P2K a lot but didn't get picked up.
Couldn't complete with XE2K either.

I don't understand why more folks don't jump in this short, fun event.  Maybe
the current emphasis on social distancing will get more BIC activity in
radiosport though.

Ed W0YK