[3830] TBDC N1LN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 15 12:10:14 EDT 2020

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 305  Total Score = 1,099

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Almost quit this one in the first hour. My west beverage had more noise on it
than my XMIT antenna so I had to use NW for all westerly directions.  Then my NW
beverage went totally dead. Now what? After a third trip out to the cable house
I touched the coax for NW, next to the W one that I previously was working on,
and it fell out of the connector. I pushed it back in, it worked fine - and I
just now finished replacing the connector.  As for the noise on the W beverage,
it must have been something local as it was fine later and is still fine today.

I just finished building a new 160 shunt fed tower, so still in the test and
compare mode. It is 105' of Rohn 45 with a 3 element cap hat with 30' elements
on top and then 15' of 2" aluminum above that as a stinger. The cap hat
used to be an A3, but I removed all the traps, extended and rebuilt the elements
and it just sits there. I put 66 buried radials under it that average just over
90' long.  So far - so good!  I would like to give Steve, VE6WZ, a shout out for
some excellent You Tube videos about building and tuning a shunt fed tower!
WELL DONE!!

Had some pretty good rate last night so I think the participation was up. Nice
to be called last night be a couple 18 point UAs and then this morning by two
KH6 stations and two JAs.

Thanks for the Qs and fun!

73,
Bruce N1LN