[3830] Commonwealth MW6M(GW4BVJ) SO-Open-24 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Mar 19 10:41:41 EDT 2020

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2020

Call: MW6M
Operator(s): GW4BVJ
Station: GW4BVJ

Class: SO-Open-24 LP
QTH: Carmarthenshire

Total:  79  Total Score = 1,655

After several years of taking part in the RSGB HF Championship I got to dislike
this contest.  In the rules they have 'no antenna restrictions' for HP and QRP,
but they do not for LP. So if you have a beam and dipoles and run 100W you have
no option but to enter the HP open section which is rediculous.  I like to
compete against other LP stations, not against HP.  Through persistently losing
out, being penalised in effect and coming way down the list and my points
suffering, I would not do this contest if it wasn't in the HFC.

I see the reason for having a restricted antenna section for dxpeditions but
they have forgotten about fixed LP stations which I think are the bedrock of all
contests.  Many stations are typical of mine with a Hexbeam and dipoles.

People love this contest for it's history, there are website's, blogs and
reflectors, but they need to fix this injustice.  Each year there is less
activity,  if they would just provide for fixed, LP operators as they do for HP
and QRP.  Give everyone a fair chance and the numbers will go up, not down as
they appear to be.