[3830] Rus DX K1IR SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 22 14:06:57 EDT 2020

                    Russian DX Contest - 2020

Call: K1IR
Operator(s): K1IR
Station: K1IR

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: MA

   40:  728     94       72        40
Total:  728     94       72        40  Total Score = 503,965

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First time trying this contest. We just got a 4-square up for 40m (h/t NN1C),
and wanted to see how it works as a second antenna. So, 40m single-band was the
choice.

The antenna needs work. It did deliver some QSOs, but seems to need some
improvements - better tuning and more radials - to be as effective as it needs
to be. One definite observation is that we hear less noise and SNR seems better
with the 4-square than the yagi. So, it is definitely a receive improvement. The
only switching option I was able to implement in the days leading up the contest
was simple A/B transfer switching. There are definitely times during the contest
when you want at to be listening or calling CQ in multiple compass directions at
the same time. So, a stack match will be a short-term improvement.

>From an operating fun perspective, this contest is a total winner. Working
everybody, plus the need to find the oblasts is a great combination. My rates on
40m were never stellar, but they were alway good when the band was open. I
operated in a number of different ways - run, *real* search & pounce
(S&P), pure click & pounce (C&P), and slow run with lots of C&P.
It was very clear that a second radio, and the skills to use it well, would have
jumped my score up a lot. A good goal for next time.

Had no trouble staying awake and alert for the whole contest period.

Some anecdotes:

Single-band categories are only mixed-mode in this contest. You really need to
work some phone QSOs. I went to SSB a few times, and honestly, had the most
enjoyable runs there. Most stations calling in were not in the contest, but
wanted to jump in and offer a QSO. There sure were a lot of quarantined Italians
in the mix! Most enjoyable DX was H44MS (QSO #6) calling in between the IU4s
right around EU sunrise. He was weak and I had a bear of a time figuring out the
callsign. He finally said the word 'island'. That got me thinking it was an
unusual one. He was very patient with me while we iterated to the right answer.

After EU faded out toward the end of the contest, all antennas were pointed
westward. The usual few VK and ZL stations had small pileups. I had trouble with
ZL3TE - no QSO. I left the pile to go see what else was around and ended up
calling CQ a few minutes later. Several other Oceania called in, and then who
calls in, completely in the clear? ZL3TE. Boom. Nice when little things like
that happen.

Outstanding contest. I will definitely be doing this one more in the future.
And, thumbs up for 24 hours. I suspect a much higher fraction of participants
consider themselves to be serious competitors in this event than we see in the
standard 48 hour format.

It will also be very interesting to see whether the contest results indicate a
measurable bump in participation as a result of global social distancing
actions.

73 Jim K1IR