[3830] Rus DX WX3B M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 22 20:30:03 EDT 2020

                    Russian DX Contest - 2020

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B K3WI
Station: WX3B

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs): 3,25

  160:    0      0        0         0
   80:    0      0        0         0
   40:    9      0        1         0
   20:  254     16       41        34
   15:   30      0       15         0
   10:    0      0        0         0
Total:  293     16       56        34  Total Score = 169,442

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Since my WPX Multi/Multi got cancelled this year, K3WI and we hatched the idea
for an M/2 in RUDX - something we haven't done in many years.  After remembering
the rules, remembering anybody can work anybody, and our incredible success in
the last M/2 we did, it was GAME ON.

Off to the races with Bill on 15/40 and myself on 20, I was delighted with band
conditions!!  I never heard so many readable Russians - the noise floor was
quiet and the band was BUSY.  I can't say the same thing about 15 meters,
however, and Bill was BORED.  We switched chairs (maintaining our social
distance of course), and Bill took a turn with a very credible rate.  I set up a
second operating position on 20 and pounced on a few loud SSB stations after
setting up a mobile whip antenna in the front yard so I could hear through
Bill's CQing.   It wasn't like hearing at W3LPL but it was fun.  Not enough
improvement of the score, however to derail Bills run.

Somewhere around 3 hours into the contest Bill and I gave each other that look
that perhaps we weren't that serious about the contest, since it was basically a
one band game and would remain that way until 40 opened to EU.

We actually decided the contest wasn't exciting enough for us, we needed to be
home with our YLs instead (how's that for a switch??) - and that was that.

We had a great time, but only for a few hours.  Maybe next time...

It was a nice diversion from everyday events and non-stop Coronavirus coverage.

Best wishes to everyone as we hunker down for the next few weeks and see if we
can flatten the curve.  You might be hearing WX3B on 75 meter SSB a lot more
than usual!

73,

Jim   WX3B