[3830] WPX SSB NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 29 21:08:11 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: NR6O
Operator(s): K3EST K6AW N6RO N6WM WD6T
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Remote Operation

   40: 1368
   20: 2206

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This effort almost did not happen..  Under lockdown here in California with a
distancing mandate.  We have had 1 remote op in during prior multi ops, but this
time we had 3 on, with only 1 person in the shack at any one time. So this
contest was run with a subset of our core team this year.

K6AW remote from Santa Barbara CA
WD6T remote from Berkeley CA
N6WM remote from Discovery Bay CA
K3EST on site in the shack
N6RO with a little 160 run the first night.

We scrambled in the last week to get a bigger upstream pipe from the rural WISP,
and it seemed to work out... really really well. Long live the multi-multi!
Conditions: We beat last years run that was fully staffed by over 2 M points.

20 Meters - K3EST: band was staffed up onsite by 20m iron man Bob K3EST with a
Cot in the shack for sleep.  It must of worked out since he produced an
incredible 2200+ qso count. This was the base for our good score.. Bob worked
the world.

10/15 Meters - N6WM remote:  the 15 meter band is really suffering from solar
minimum conditions. Almost entire qso count was Latin America and Oceania.  Very
few domestic prefixes worked.  No EU.  No JA.  No East Atlantic Islands.
Somehow out q'd last years 15m numbers.  10 meter qso's were handled SO2R with a
brief opening to SA on Saturday.

40/80 Meters - WD6T primary with K6AW, some help from N6WM.: Dave worked over
1100 qso's on the 2 bands (Steve did quite a few as well), often doing 40/80
SO2R.  our 80m numbers suffered a bit because of this. Dave was excited to get a
full drive of the RO Double Stack on 40 and all its capabilities.  It really is
a wonderful antenna system

160 N6RO night 1, N6WM remote night 2: Low bands were noisy, with limited
propagation, and we have a problematic element causing us to use the system in
Omni.. that is skewed to NE currently.  Ken worked a batch on Friday night and
N6WM via remote Saturday night. No beverage access for WM night 2 so did best
with S9 to S9 + 10 noise floor.

Overall this was great teamwork!  pulling this off was neither requested or
expected, and we found out alot about multiple remotes in and station
preparedness for this.. we did the best we could maintaining operators socially
separated.  Its incredible we were able to best last years fully staffed shack
score, with a small team and several coming in remote dealing with these
unexpected circumstances.

The M/M show must go on!  Congrats to the WW2DX team on what is likely a record
score also a full remote operation!  Long Live the multi!

Stn Condx:
10M/15M - Flex 6600 SO2R - Smartlink Remote/SmartControl - PGXL
5 X 5 X 5 Stacks both bands
20M - K3 and Alpha
5 X 5 X 5 Stack
40M/80M - Flex 6600 SO2R - Smartlink Remote - PGXL
        - And K3/AL1200 - K3/0 remote
4 X 4 Stack on 40/4sq on 80
160M: 4Sq in Omni mode..  slightly compromised.

Thanks to Ken for allowing the show to go on with recent hardships and strange
times, he is the BEST and most selfless station owner and great operator!
Congrats to EST for an amazing 20m count, Congrats to the entire team for
patience and understanding with all the IT stuff and internat bandwidth
restrictions... and of course.. thanks to you all for the QSO's.

For Ken N6RO and the NR6O WPX Team
73 and seeya next time

Chris
N6WM