[3830] WPX SSB WJ4X(N4XL) SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 29 21:10:39 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WJ4X
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: WJ4X

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: SC

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Bands in pretty good shape Sunday. Saturday had S9 QRN (and sometimes louder) on
the low bands which sometimes made copy rough. Weather map showed a line of
thunderstorms moving across the Tennessee valley. Sunday went fairly well and
with the quieter bands it was much easier to work EU on 40 and 80. That helped
the score a bit, but still did not come anywhere near meeting my goals for the
contest. The Russians were very strong and was able to work the strong JT1 on
the first call. Heard Indonesia very clearly on 40 Sunday AM, but he couldn't
hear me.

Murphy has lately taken to visiting me whenever I've decided to put in a full
time effort. Although everything was working four days before the contest
several shack issues cropped up the first few hours of the contest. It was a
rough start. I'm kind of glad though, because when I realized I wasn't going to
be competitive I really focused on figuring out how to make SO2R work in this
shack. Very happy with the progress made there and now feel comfortable using
the second radio to interleave q's. I apologize for the few times I did mess
things up and didn't respond quickly enough to the other ops. After the poor
showing Friday night I set a new goal of 700 q's when I returned Saturday
morning. The SO2R skills developed this time were the reason I easily blew that
away.

Worked several US hams with a number of <20 and a few with 01. Hope the
contesting bug took hold and they'll come back again.

Thank you Adam, WJ4X, for the use of your call.

Kevan N4XL
TS590 x2
Bencher Skyhawk @ 50 ft
40/80 elevated vertical