[3830] WPX SSB VE4VT SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 29 21:42:37 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:

   40: 1115
   20: 1057

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Wasn't planning on entering assisted but after 4 hours of running, I realized
the bandmap was populated and I had forgotten to disconnect the cluster.

Propagation was certainly not spectacular. Openings to Europe on 20m were weak
and almost nonexistent on 40m. Even 15m was weak to South America, although
there were some surprising sporadic e openings on Saturday and on Sunday, there
were signals from the SE US copied.  That is a good sign that the sunspot cycle
is on the upswing.

Also worked one PY station on 10m. It has been a couple years since that has
happened!

I also can't recall if I have ever worked a contest where I had more Q's on 40m
than on 20m.

Just could not establish a run to Europe on 20m. Even working below 14.0150, II
spent an hour calling CQ and had 18 Q to show for it..

This contest also reminded me of the hazards of living in the black hole. You
point your beam at Europe and stateside stations try to take over your
frequency. You point to stateside, and Europeans start calling on your frequency
and then the stateside stations start calling the DX. I am sure I likely have
several Q in the log where I thought I was working a station and they were
working someone else.

Oh well...it was all fun and thanks for the Q's.

Stay healthy everyone!

Ed  VE4VT