[3830] WPX SSB WN4GM(N4IQ) SO(A)AB TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 30 11:18:49 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WN4GM
Operator(s): N4IQ
Station: N4IQ

Class: SO(A)AB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: SC - Greenville

Total: 1090  Prefixes = 490  Total Score = 951,580

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Band     QSOs     Pts  WPX  Pt/Q
   3.5     150     266   57   1.8
     7     541     918  219   1.7
    14     320     552  167   1.7
    21      79     206   47   2.6
 Total    1090    1942  490   1.8
Score: 951,580 SO2R  20HRS  SOAB(A) HP
(Tribander/wires Sub-category)

This was my first non-trival effort (i.e. more than several hours) in a
CQ WW WPX SSB Contest.  Much fun!

I used my brother Jon's call rather than my
garden variety N4 call. Mixed blessing, but overall
I think it helped when spotted and I was running. When S/P,
it was often a curse.  At least 25% would not get the
leading W and would copy N4GM.  A few came back with
WN4AFP!!! - obviously looking at the Master Check Log.
Some returned WN4G.  Evidently a 2x2 call with a WN4 prefix
is confusing to some. WN4GM (my brother is not a contester) is
not in the Master Check log. After this year, I hope that will
change.  Hi.

Lots of good continuous DX in this event.  15 was open to the
south most all afternoon on both days.  Sunday was the best
with wall to wall, strong SA signals.  Some EU as well.

I used my new Top Fed 80 Inverted L (no radials) exclusively on 80.
I made couple of really good runs on 80M.  Worked very well so I doubt I
will use the 80 C.Windoms on that band.  However, my two 80M C. Windoms
have interposing patterns with strong, low angle lobes on 15M.  Switching
between the two antennas produces some amazing results on 15 and 10M.

I checked 160M and heard some activity but for the same contact point values
as 40 and 80, and for the easy of running, I just stayed on those bands.

Now, I am looking forward to the CW WPX towards the end of May.

2X TS590; 2X KW; All wire antennas
160M C Windom (used on 40M & 160M)
2x 40/20M Super Loops NE/SW & NW/SE (used on 20M);
2x 30/15-10M Super Loops NE/SW & NW/SE (used on 15M);
2x 80M C Windoms (15M);
80M Top Fed Coaxial Inverted L (no radials)
SDR Pans; N1MM+