[3830] WPX SSB KU2M SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 30 11:20:35 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ

   20: 2437

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Activity was terrific for this contest, which is about the most inclusive
all-purpose DX contest there is, since everybody can work everybody, and even
ordinary folks can be a needed multiplier. Although I had my usual conflicted
feelings about confining my carcass to a chair for an entire weekend and getting
another sore throat yelling into a microphone for hours on end, I somehow found
the motivation to sit myself in front of the radio Friday night just before
0000Z. It quickly became apparent that the station was mad at me for not being
used much in recent weeks (working my small business at what has become ground
zero in the present pandemic crisis has all but eclipsed my ham activity of
late), and the first hour was a comedy of errors. First, my amplifier kept
shutting down, and then I found out that my ring rotor had gone psychotic, and
stopped telling me A) if it was turning at all or B) where it was pointing.
Well, I'm glad none of the neighbors called the police to report the lunatic who
was running around outside in the dark, waving a flashlight at the sky. No, I
wasn't signaling aliens, I was trying to see where my DB36 was pointing.

I managed to resolve the amplifier issue and found a workaround for the rotator
issue. I didn't plan well, and Saturday morning I missed about an hour and a
half of DX prime time doing chores, but I made up for it on DupeDay (some people
call it Sunday) when I did chores at O-Dark-Hundred and didn't move from the
operating chair from 6:30 AM until 4:30 PM. All I can say is it's a good thing
my prostate's in decent shape.

Conditions were good to EU and South America, but there was no JA run at all.
Was called by JA7QVI on Saturday evening and that was my total JA experience;
had there been an opening to JA, scores would have been considerably better. My
"wow" contact occurred on Saturday about a half hour after sunset. I
was calling CQ with the antennas pointing south, and was answered by a somewhat
weak station; at first I thought it was a PY, but it turned out to be JT1CO!
Now, all you guys in the rest of the country are probably yawning, but JT is
always big deal to work from here in the KU2M Triangle, and the fact that the
antennas were pointing south made it all the more surprising. I don't know if it
was really long path or just off the back of the antennas, but either way, that
was a cool moment!

Thanks to all who called in, and hope to see you in the CW test... if I can get
motivated.