[3830] WPX SSB K5FUV SOAB TB-Wires LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 30 20:01:35 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K5FUV
Operator(s): K5FUV
Station: K5FUV

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: ar

I think I had fun. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

First night was fairly good. Got some good rate on 20, worked a few guys on 15,
then back to 80, which is usually my main band. Not so much this year. I noticed
a distinct lack of the usual suspects from EU, as well as some pretty loud
static crashes, so I packed it in early.

Got up the next morning, expecting to work the usual JA and South Americans.
Nada. No Caribbean to speak of, so guess the Covid-19 took care of that. Then,
after working a (very) few Qs, I had to shut down and disconnect for a
thunderstom. On this lot, you don't take chances with lightning. Since I've been
here, we have had too direct hit on this property, luckily so far it's mostly
cut down trees and killed on feedline.

After losing those hours, which probably would have been the most point
productive, I was largely disincentiveized, and at that point just went through
the motions. Worked a lot of W's, dealt with static again on 80, and generally
didn't make enough points to go with the QSO count. I have found out more about
the capabilities of the FTdx101 that make running much better (I can hear!) and
its ability to do amazing things on 80 with the VCT.

This contest has changed since I first started it in the 70's. The proliferation
of 2x1 callsigns in the US, as well as points for US have made a large
difference in the operating philosophy, as least from my area of the country. In
the past, WPX was a DX contest primarily, and operating with a 1x2 was
preferable from a point accumulation standpoint. Now, it seems that one must
work a lot of W's to get both prefixes and points. I haven't got my head around
that quite yet, although I'm getting there. Maybe4 next year, and maybe with
high power.