[3830] 7QP K7E(W6PNG) Cnty Exped SO LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 3 19:56:00 EDT 2020

                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2020

Call: K7E
Operator(s): W6PNG
Station: K7E

Class: Cnty Exped SO LP
QTH: Nevada, Mineral Cnty

   40:          57
   20:          62
----------------------------
Total:   0     119      0  Mults = 34  Total Score = 8,092

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Operated from a 7,000 ft mountain top expedition style using my Jeep to
transport me, my KX3/KXPA100 and two 40ft masts, one with a 40-10 dipole and the
other a 100ft+ end fed.

All fun and enjoyed the remote location and super quiet receive. Views were
spectacular and WX good all round all though it was hot operating in the Jeep
mid to late afternoon. The end fed didn't seem to want to tune up on 80m (nor
160m) but did prove pretty good on 20m. The dipole (SpiderBeam) seem to work
best on 40m.

Propagation seemed tough on 20m but I was excited to get Italian and Croatian
stations in the log.

Contesting with a 100w SSB is a form of masochism at this point in the sun cycle
but as a battery powered station 500w+ isn't an easy option. Maybe a generator
is on my shopping list!!

The peak was exposed (but the views great) and around 2pm local time the wind
picked up and took out the end fed mast.

I think being able to borrow a 1x1 call sign a real treat and thank the powers
that be that we in the US can do this.

This was my first time contesting from my Jeep and I really enjoyed it. As a
very active Summits on the Air participant this was like SOTA on steroids.

I blog some of my radio life at www.nomadic.blog

Paul W6PNG/M0SNA