[3830] NewEngQP W1HS M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed May 6 11:04:06 EDT 2020

                    New England QSO Party - 2020

Call: W1HS
Operator(s): W1HS KC1GDW
Station: W1HS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SULNH
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5
Remote Operation

   80:     0        10
   40:     0       275
   20:     0        39
   15:     0         0
   10:     0         0
------------------------
Total:     0       324  Mults = 58  Total Score = 18,792

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I really enjoy operating in the NEQP. Thanks to Tom and everyone who put this
together every year.

The NEQP provides a rare opportunity for small-ish stations like mine to hold a
frequency for an extended period of time, run a pileup and really work on skills
and getting our rate up.  This was one of my best ssb run rates in any event,
with one actual 60 minute run yielding 94 QSOs, and a peak 10 minute rate of 144
QSOs/hour.

I operated multi single with my son, KC1GDW who was running on my Flex-6700
remotely from his house. This isn't a particularly good event for multi operator
but it was a good excuse to get him set up to operate remotely.  I would have
prefered multi-multi or a multi single operation which allows both operators
more flexibility to operate with an interlock allowing only one transmitted
signal at a time, but still, it was a good experience.  Had to spend some time
Saturday night tweaking the setup in order to get him up and running with the
KPA500 amp (he was having no luck barefoot), but once we did that it worked
flawlessly.    This setup will come in handy for field day and other upcoming
operating events during our pandemic year.

Conditions on 40m Saturday night were really encouraging, had a nice run on 40.
20 was open but very crowded to the EU, and we weren't able to accomplish much
on 20.   There was a lot less activity on 80m than I had expected, so we knocked
off at around 2300 local time.  Sunday morning was off to a great start. I was
able to run for quite a while on 40. When it slowed down I had intended to move
over to 20m, but 20M just never opened up on Sunday.  Spent a good amount of the
day Sunday doing other projects, went for a nice walk, moved an ADSB antenna,
worked in the garden.   Then Sunday evening 40 picked up again for a great run
to the finish. I even had a station in RI and one in VT call me at the tail end
of the event, those are always the hardest states for me to get and it was great
getting them both in the log.

KC1GDW operated remotely on my Flex 6700 plugged into a KPA500 and KAT500 amp
plugged into a 51' G5RV dipole at 35'.
I was on an Icom 7610 with KPA1500 into a SteppIR Urbanbeam for 20, and a 102'
G5RV dipole at 45' for 40 and 80.