[3830] 50SprngSprnt K2UA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 10 08:24:02 EDT 2020

                    50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2020

Call: K2UA
Operator(s): K2UA
Station: K2UA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN12

Total:  QSOs = 66  Mults = 31  Total Score = 2,046

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

Band   Mode  QSOs      DX Grid
    50  CW       3     409    1
    50  FT8     31   32871   18
    50  USB     32   36779   12
 Total  Both    66   70059   31
Score: 70,059

Average distance per QSO is 1061 km. Sporadic E is our friend!

I am extraordinarily disappointed at how much SSB and CW activity FT8 has
siphoned off. The band was wide open but we waste a minute or more working one
station that would be drop-dead easy on SSB. Why? I am stymied.

After CQing for the first 10 minutes on SSB (7 el, 900 W), with only a single
answer, I gave up and went to FT8--where everybody was duking it out. Worked all
I could there by about 0030Z. I got tired of calling stations who never answer,
and was going to turn the radio off and go upstairs. It was that bad. Decided to
start but ultimately paid off, as the band was still open quite well (especially
to the Gulf Coast, but also as far west as Colorado).

We have to solve this FT8 problem. We have a hole in the boat--really good
operators are bailing as a result. We can't sustain that loss. The only good
solution I've seen is to allow one QSO per mode in VHF contests.

--73, Rus, K2UA